Part of the Service Design lifecycle, IT Service Continuity Management (ITSCM) manages risks that could seriously impact IT services. ITSCM ensures that the IT service provider can always provide minimum agreed Service Levels, by reducing the risk from disaster events to an acceptable level and planning for recovery of IT services. UCSF IT works in partnership with the Campus and Medical Center Emergency Management Departments to deliver the ITSCM process in alignment with each respective organization’s Business Continuity Program.
At a very high level, the ITSCM includes the following sub process activities:
- Initiation - During the initiation stage, policies that specify management intention and objectives should be documented and communicated throughout the organization.
- Requirements & Strategies - It is critical to identify and document business requirements for IT Service Continuity in order to ensure that the business can survive a disaster. Business Impact Analysis (BIA) and risk estimate are conducted to develop an IT Service Continuity Strategy.
- Implementation - Implementation planning identifies and coordinates the various business and technical plans and deliverables into a cohesive master BCM Plan.
- Ongoing Operation - Ongoing operation consists of activities related to maintaining, testing and changing the continuity plans to ensure that they are Fit-for-Purpose over time.
- Invocation - Guidance and criteria for making the decision to invoke Business and IT Continuity Plans must be carefully documented in advance.
IT Service Continuity helps us to collaboratively prepare, plan, mitigate and test for the next disaster. The next disaster could be like the San Andreas movie or one of ten other identified hazards and vulnerabilities. Regardless, we need to prepare for the worst, but continue to hope for the best. -Francine Sneddon, ITSCM Process Manager
Committee Members (Must be logged into MyAccess)
ITSCM Governance Meetings: 1x per Quarter
IT DEOC Documentation
Quick Reference Guides
|Mar 2016||Process and Governance established||Complete|
|Apr 2016||BIA Process defined||Complete|
|Jun 2016||Tier 1 Med Center BIA Reassessment complete||Complete|
|Jul 2016||Begin Tier 1 DR Solutions Project||In Progress|
|Jun 2017||BIA Backlog for UCSFIT and Clinical Applications complete||In Progress|
|Dec 2017||BIA Backlog for non-IT-managed Applications complete|