What is ServiceNow?
ServiceNow is an enterprise application that provides a robust suite of applications to automate and streamline IT and business unit operations. ServiceNow is offered under a Software-as-a Service (SaaS) business model and is accessed through a web-based interface that can be easily configured to adapt to a variety of workflow and processes.
Our goal is to share this tool broadly across UCSF to advance service management across the enterprise.
There are several out-of-the-box applications available through the ServiceNow platform. Each application contributes to IT’s overall Service Management strategy to improve our efficiency and align our offerings with the needs of UCSF. The following Applications have been implemented at UCSF:
Additionally, using the ServiceNow development platform, we can build custom applications such as the Medical Center Support Services (MCSS - a request portal for Medical Center Operations) application.
- Contact IT Service Management Office (ITSMO) – Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you are interested.
- Receive an overview of services – The Service Management team will provide you with a complete overview of the services, ServiceNow platform, our team’s role in meeting your service needs and what you need to do to join.
- Tell us what you do – The Service Management teams collaborates with you to collect the detailed information needed to get you on board.
- Analysis and decision – We will analyze and design a solution that meets your needs.
- Get training – Your support team receives guidance and training on how to use ServiceNow.
- Test drive and go live – In this final step, you will “test drive” the tool, fix any last minute issues, and finalize your processes before going live.
Releases and How to Request an Enhancement
We have two types of releases:
- Vendor releases, also known as platform releases, are done once or twice a year. These releases are required to stay compliant with Vendor support.
- UCSF releases are internal customizations to already deployed applications. We have a monthly release schedule, usually planned for the first Tuesday of every month. Details of the releases are published in our release notes. To request an enhancement to already deployed ServiceNow applications, first check the pending enhancements list to see if the functionality you are requesting is already in our backlog.